Bamboo Geodesic Dome Workshop
The Bamboo Geodesic Dome workshop is a 4 days learning experience that offers the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of bamboo construction and Hyperbolic Paraboloid technique, while engaging in a unique self-inquiry in the company of an international team of mentors. The workshop takes place in Auroville, a dynamic international community committed to sustainable living, radical experimentation and personal development.
BENEFITS & WHO IS THIS FOR?
The Bamboo Geodesic Domeworkshop is perfect for Environmentalist, Green Practitioners, Architect Students and anyone who wants to gain skills on sustainable lifestyle and hands-on experience working with bamboo, one of the most eco-friendly building materials, while also exploring various aspects of sustainable living. It is for anyone who is concerned about building a more environmentally sustainable world. (e.g. engineers, architects, technicians, supervisors, masons, students and laymen).
An essential aspect of building a more sustainable world is the quality of the consciousness we bring to it. Our outer environment – whether built or natural – reflects the state of our inner awareness.
The Bamboo Geodesic Dome workshop workshop will take place over 4 days, covering full day intensive sessions offered daily from 9 AM to 5 PM. The sessions are offered according to two areas of focus, as follows:
1. NATURAL BUILDING WITH BAMBOO
Bamboo is an eco-friendly natural resource known for its rapid growth. As a core component of the workshop, participants will gain the basic knowledge, skills and practice needed for bamboo construction, as well as technologies that use bamboo in combination with other materials. Sessions include:
- Theory and practice of working with bamboo
- Treating bamboo against insects
- Bamboo carpentry: bending, cutting, joineries, split and weave bamboo
- Bamboo construction
- Learn how to use Bamboo as a Material Learn the Tools and Techniques
- Learn different Joineries in detail
- Interact with Technicians and Faculties for Problem Solving Learn to Work and Design with Bamboo
- Learn site work set up
- Complete Hands –On Experience with Building a “Live Bamboo Structure” Learn and work with people all over the world
After learning basic skills in bamboo technology, participants will help in making a bamboo structure and learn the know-how of building construction.
2. GEODESIC DOME
Geodesic Dome is a hemi – spherical structure made from split bamboo. The shape helps distribute the structural stress throughout the structure. It is a perfect example of low cost construction.
This is a special workshop, where you will learn how to design and build an 18 – feet tall Geodesic Dome using bamboo; with also introduction to roofing solution. Also, you will learn different ways of finishing the structure.
This kind of workshop will give you insights about building with natural materials.
This will be a completely hands-on experience for you, as you yourself will learn the process and make it yourself, with the guidance of the faculties and skilled bamboo technicians
Things to bring for the workshop, (Optional)
- Loose and comfortable clothes for Site Work;
- Air Mask;
- Ear plugs;
- A Cap;
- Eye Protective Goggles;
- A Book and a Pen
- Tarch light
- Lunch for 4 days ( vegetarian meals)
- Raw materials
- Refreshments twice a day
- Certificate of attendance
- Terms: 50% deposit of workshop fee required on booking with balance payable prior to commencement of workshop.
- Cancellation: Up to 2 weeks before workshop commencement we retain 25% of total fee due. From 2 days to workshop commencement we retain the 50% total fee.
- Notes: All booking communication is completed in writing by email.
- Auroville has a strict no alcohol or drugs policy. Anyone disregarding these rules will be requested to leave the community immediately and no refunds will apply.