Bamboo Summercamp in Auroville
The Bamboo Summer School is a 1-weekimmersive learning experience that offers the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of bamboo construction and sustainable living, while engaging in a unique self-inquiry in the company of an international team of mentors. The Camp takes place in Auroville, a dynamic international community committed to sustainable living, radical experimentation and personal development.
BENEFITS & WHO IS THIS FOR?
The Bamboo Summer School is perfect for Architect, Architect students, Engineers and anyone who wants to gain skills and hands-on experience working with bamboo, one of the most eco-friendly building materials, while also exploring various aspects of sustainable living. It is for anyone who is concerned about building a more environmentally sustainable world.
An essential aspect of building a more sustainable world is the quality of the consciousness we bring to it. Our outer environment – whether built or natural – reflects the state of our inner awareness. For that reason, part of this programme will also focus on expanding awareness, exploring how “inner” space relates to the world we construct “outside.”
The Bamboo Summer School will take place over 6 days, covering full day intensive sessions offered daily from 9 AM to 5 PM. The sessions are offered according to two areas of focus, as follows:
1. NATURAL BUILDING WITH BAMBOO
Bamboo is an eco-friendly natural resource known for its rapid growth. As a core component of the workshop, participants will gain the basic knowledge, skills and practice needed for bamboo construction, as well as technologies that use bamboo in combination with other materials. Sessions include:
- Theory and practice of working with bamboo
- Harvesting bamboo and working in a bamboo forest
- Treating bamboo against insects
- Bamboo carpentry: bending, cutting, joineries, split and weave bamboo
- Bamboo construction
- After learning basic skills in bamboo technology, participants will help in making a bamboo structure and learn the know-how of building construction.
2. BASICS OF SUSTAINABLE LIVING
As one of the largest and most well-established eco-communities in the world, Auroville offers many learning opportunities for people interested in sustainable living. As part of the Bamboo Summer School, we will explore some of the most inspiring projects and communities in Auroville, including:
- Sadhana Forest – reforestation project and vegan community –http://sadhanaforest.org/
- Sacred Groves – natural building project– http://sacredgroves.in/
- Auroville Botanical Garden– http://www.auroville-botanical-gardens.org/
- Auroville Earth Institute Auroville Earth Institute (earth-auroville.com)
Topics to be covered include:
- Overview of sustainability issues and the Auroville context
- Permaculture and local food systems
- Local ecology and reading the landscape
Things to bring for the workshop, (Optional)
- Loose and comfortable clothes for Site Work;
- Air Mask;
- Ear plugs;
- A Cap;
- Eye Protective Goggles;
- A Book and a Pen
- Tarch light
Programme Rate: 21000 Rs. * Includes:
- Accommodation for 7 nights in Auroville
- All food for 6 days (3 vegetarian meals a day)
- Costs of all excursions within Auroville and the bioregion
- Use of a bicycle within Auroville
- Heritage tour around Pondicherry
- Mohanam Cultural evening in one of the villages near Auroville
- Certificate of attendance
- Terms: 50% deposit of workshop fee required on booking with balance payable prior to commencement of workshop.
- Cancellation: Up to 2 weeks before workshop commencement we retain 25% of total fee due.
- From 2 days to workshop commencement we retain the 50% total fee.
- Notes: All booking communication is completed in writing by email.
- Auroville has a strict no alcohol or drugs policy. Anyone disregarding these rules will be requested to leave the community immediately and no refunds will apply.
- Facilities: Interns should not expect much comfort. Basic facilities and needs will be provided for.
- Accommodations: basic shared rooms (3-4 per room)
- Transportation within Auroville will be by bicycle, which is included in the programme rate. (Motorbikes can be rented at an extra cost)
- Internet: Internet facilities are available in the accommodation.